Monday, December 12, 2011

The Lottery

"It isn't fair," she said. A stone hit her on the side of the head. - Shirley Jackson


Is this real life?! I was waiting the entire story to figure out what the lottery would be for. I figured money, a new house, anything positive. Nope, I was wrong. I'm just a little bit in shock. I don't know what culture or time period this takes place in, but it seems to be from way back in the day. I understand that this town loves their traditions, but seriously? Mrs. Hutchinson is also very annoying, but definitely not annoying enough to stone to death! If there was supposed to be a funny or ironic part to the story I totally missed it. Then again, the chapter theme is point of view, so I'm assuming this story is just as somber and suspenseful as it sounds. 



This is partially because of the first line of my blog/partially because it's a guaranteed day maker!

No comments:

Post a Comment