Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Woman

"She’s nothing to me, Biff. I was lonely, I was terribly lonely." - Willy, Death of a Salesman

I think Willy's affair in Boston is when my opinion of him changed. He went from being a confused, stressed, hard-working father who wanted to do what's best for his family to a man who let his deranged memories get in the way of real life. When Biff comes to Boston, he ends up getting yelled at and told not to cry by his father. Most logical people who visit their father in the midst of him cheating on their mother would react just as Biff did. Willy couldn't control his loneliness, and he basically changed Biff's life because of it. Biff was never the same person after that experience. I assume Willy felt terrible after it happened, but he made no effort to reconcile with Biff after ordering him to basically get over the fact that he was cheating on Linda. That's when I stopped feeling sorry for Willy. 


I was really tempted to put the song Boston by Augustana on this blog, but I couldn't think of exactly how it related. Plus I don't feel like stretching the reasoning - since I already did that in my last 2 blogs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment