Thursday, February 16, 2012

Dynamic Character - Oliver

"Some of my shame; if you will know of me What man I am, and how, and why, and where This handkercher was stain'd." (IV.iii.63)


I was almost 100% positive at the beginning of the play that Oliver would be the antagonist throughout the entire play. I was sure that he would corrupt someone's life and essentially lead to people's deaths. Then I realized I'm not reading a tragedy anymore, and it is possible for people to change without being lying and manipulative (cough, cough, Iago). Oliver comes to know that he was wrong to treat his own brother so poorly; he's ashamed. When he changes, he falls in love with Aliena/Celia. This was the final thing that solidified his new personality in my opinion. He would be married soon, and he would have someone to keep him in line. As Oliver came back into the woods to find Rosalind and help Orlando, the entire story began to wrap up. Loose ends randomly came together without making any sense, but the story was beginning to be complete. Nothing would be set straight if Oliver hadn't joined the party in the woods. 


Honestly, the only related thing about his video is the word Oliver. 
It's a stretch, but it could express the way Oliver felt about Aliena/Celia. 
Mainly I just wanted to post it because Oliver & Company is the 
first thing I think of when I hear Oliver's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment