Thursday, October 6, 2011

Elegy for My Father, Who Is Not Dead - Metaphor

"I see myself on deck, convinced his ship’s gone down, while he’s convinces I’ll see him standing on the dock and waving, shouting, Welcome back." - Andrew Hudgins


I saw the title of this poem and thought, "Score! The word elegy is in the title. That's one lit. term I don't have to worry about finding to blog about." WRONG. I don't really consider this an elegy. Although I already wrote 3 literary analysis blogs, I figured one more won't do any harm. This poem ends with a metaphor that's really quite profound and touching. The son doesn't feel ready to die, but his father is looking forward to the newest adventure of eternity. The speaker's father is convinced that there is eternal life that is perfect. The son thinks "he’ll wrap me in his arms and laugh, the way he did when I arrived on earth". This is support for how much this father loves and wants to be with his son after death. He firmly believes they will meet again, and that is why he is not afraid of death. This metaphor solidifies that belief as well. The comparison of the sinking ship to death really helps to illustrate the different views being presented.

No comments:

Post a Comment