Thursday, October 6, 2011

Lonely Hearts - Repetition (#15)

"Can someone make my simple wish come true? Do you live in North London? Is it you?" - Wendy Cope


These two lines are repeated separately at the end of every other stanza. They are mimicking the Personals section in a newspaper. This repetitions shows the longing and desperation that exudes from the people writing the adds. The personalities represented are all so different. It furthers the idea that everyone is different, and all people have unique traits that they are hoping others share. The repetition of asking for "my simple wish" to come true shows that the speaker, or I guess writer in this case, doesn't think they are asking much. They simply wish to find someone who shares similar interest. This repetition makes the reader wonder if there really is a soul mate out there for everyone. Although I do think that's true, I don't know if they're all found in North London. 

No comments:

Post a Comment