Friday, June 17, 2011

Bernard Marx

"I think he's rather sweet." (page 45-46)

Bernard Marx seems to be one of the few sensible characters I have encountered in the first few chapters of Brave New World. The people of the World State have been bred to be a certain way; they think, eat, act, and socialize the way Controllers tell them to. It seems t be that citizens are encouraged from a young age to be promiscuous and put their own personal pleasure first. However, I think they are discouraged to become too attatched to a certain person, which could lead to falling in love; I don't think love exists in their world. I don't know how or when, but I think Bernard has learned a few traits such as respect, consideration, and manners at some point in his life. I think Bernard is one of the very few "exceptions" to the humanoid type people in the After Ford world. Bernard is generally offended when Henry and the assistant talk about Lenina as if she were their property, which is the way most people today would react as well. There is something very strange to me about the way the people in the World State are brought up. What made them believe that mothers, families, thinking, and respecting their peers are so evil? And why did they choose Henry Ford as their role model and god-like figure? I personally think Bernard Marx is the only person with his priorities straight, and I think that will play a large part in the rest of the novel.

1 comment:

  1. It's strange how the one character the reader sees as sensible is the one the society views as odd.

    ReplyDelete