Monday, June 20, 2011

Sympathy

"If one's different, one's bound to be lonely." (page 137)


This chapter brought about one feeling: sympathy. I feel sorry for John and how he isn't even accepted by his own drunken mother. I feel sorry for Bernard who wants so badly not to return to London. I feel sorry for Linda who was thrown into a new place without any instruction on how to live. Most of all, I feel sorry for the citizens in the World State who have been deprived of romance, family, and love. Bernard and John prove to be very similar while being complete opposites. ( I know that doesn't make total sense, but hear me out.) They are both ostracized and lonely, but John longs to be where Bernard lives and Bernard dreams of being free. I hope they both get what they want; I like them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment