Friday, June 17, 2011

Brave New World -The Very Confusing Order of Operation at the Hatchery

" 'Community, Identity, Stability.' Grand words." (page 7)

I sincerely hope the rest of Brave New World is not as confusing as the first chapter.  So far I think the only thing I have figured out for sure is the very specific and closely monitered order of operations at the Central London Hatchery and Conditioning Centre. In the words of the Director, it "begin[s] at the beginning" Thank you, Captain Obvious. I don't know what Liners, Meticulators, Decanting rates, or Metres are yet. I don't quite understand the point of mass producing embryos or the significance of 16,000 individuals from one ovary yet. I'm assuming that all will come in time - at least I hope so. I don't think there is a literary term for a sequence of events in a work of literature, but if there were I would use that as the focus of this blog entry. The entirety of chapter one is to establish the initial setting, caracters, and idea - which could be esposition - but I feel like that's kind of a cop out. It's become very clear to me in the first 18 pages of the book, that it does not take place in modern time. Basically, my initial reaction to the beginning of Brave New World is that I'm confused. Throughout the book I'm hoping that things start to make sense and fall into place, but if not I will apologize in advance for rambling about things I don't understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment