Wednesday, September 21, 2011

APO 96225 - Situational Irony

"So after a while, the young man wrote, 'Dear Mom, sure rains here a lot.'" - Larry Rottmann


I literally laughed out loud when I read this poem. Well...actually, I chuckled to myself, because it was silent in class and it would've been awkward if I laughed out loud. I really did enjoy this poem. The situational irony in it was priceless. I'm sure the mother of the soldier in Vietnam did want to know some details, but she couldn't handle the truth. It's not that the son was lying to his mother, he simply left out all the gory details that no one really knew about. I can just imagine the son trying to avoid the topic in his letters, but eventually he gave in. I think his mother was waiting for a letter that gave a few details about the war or the people he was facing, but his comments were unexpected. This relates to how the American public felt about the war. They wanted to know everything that was happening in Vietnam, but when they found out they wished they had never asked. 


No comments:

Post a Comment