Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Joy of Cooking

"I will have my brother's heart, which is firm and rather dry" - Elaine Magarrell

Soooo far from what this poem is about.

I understand certain aspects of this poem better than others. The first stanza is referencing the speaker's sister, but not in the way mention. Which I guess makes this an ironic poem - saying one this and meaning another, right? I think the speaker was envious of their sister's personality, because they are not as outgoing and well-spoken. And judging by this poem, they also seem a little bitter toward their relatives. 

The second stanza clearly refers to the brother, and even more specifically this time, his heart. I think is is less ironic and more symbolic than the first stanza. The speaker states that her brother's heart is "firm and rather dry", and that it would "need[s] an apple-onion stuffing to make it interesting at all". I'm sensing a little jealousy here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment