Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Spring" - allusion

"A strain of the earth's sweet being in the beginning In Eden garden. - Have, get, before it cloy." - Gerard Manley Hopkins


Hopkins relates the innocence and new beginning of Spring to the garden of Eden. This reference immediately grabbed my attention, probably because I've known for the story of Adam and Eve basically my whole life. The descriptions Hopkins uses do indeed represent Spring very well, but the image of the garden of Eden bursting with life and lush green plants was most effective in my mind. I think he used this allusion for that reason exactly. There's nothing more pure and beautiful than the perfect oasis of Eden, which is exactly the point he was trying to prove. I think Hopkins might be comparing the innocence of children to this garden and springtime as well. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I am getting from this.  Just as the garden was once perfect, the minds of boys and girls begin untainted by real life. Only after they begin to learn and adapt to their new environment are they no longer able to be considered innocent or untouched, just as Adam and Eve were no longer allowed in paradise after they sinned.

No comments:

Post a Comment