Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Bartleby - Allusion

" 'Eh!- He's asleep, ain't he?' 'With kings and counselors,' murmured I." - Bartleby the Scrivener


“For now I would have lain down and been quiet; 
I would have slept then, I would have been at rest, 
With kings and with counselors of the earth, 
Who rebuilt ruins for themselves;" - Job 3:13-14



That is the verse that the narrator was alluding to. I think the narrator was saying that Bartleby did this to himself, but he didn't know why. The narrator believed that he was being hard on himself, just as Job was in the Bible. Death was the happiest place that Bartleby could have been, which is why he starved himself. The narrator had an odd sympathy for Bartleby which I still don't understand. This sympathy caused the narrator to feel a sense of peace when Bartleby dies. It's as if he were a very sick (which in the mind, he was) person whose family is waiting for them to be out of their misery. This allusion to the Bible would make more sense to someone who was familiar with the story, but it still is understandable to people who have no knowledge of the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment