Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Worn Path

"Then Phoenix was like an old woman begging a dignified forgiveness for waking up frightened in the night." -Eudora Welty


My first guess as to why Phoenix was a little on the strange side was that she was blind. She seemed to be struggling to walk and she spoke to her surroundings. I figured I'd give her the benefit of the doubt before I just wrote her off as crazy. But she wasn't blind, because she could see certain landmarks during her journey, according to the narrator. I do think Phoenix was a little bit crazy, just because of the way she talked and acted. However, I think she was senile possibly due to Alzheimer's?  Also, she was being driven by a love for her sick grandson. That motive was not revealed until the end; she didn't even remember why she was going into town until she was reminded. Phoenix reminds me of Mama Odie from Princess and the Frog. Mama Odie is blind (yes, I know that Phoenix isn't) and she is a little bit crazy at first glance. After a while we learn that she has great intentions to help the Prince and Tiana that are revealed after a wonderful, typical Disney musical number. 


No comments:

Post a Comment