Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Eveline

"She knew the air Strange that it should come that very night to remind her of the promise to her mother, her promise to keep the home together as long as she could."


My small group decided that the theme for this story could be: "Irish people are afraid of the unknown and don't like change". It makes total sense, right? Well, I think it does. Eveline lives in a basically terrible home. Her mother and favorite brother are dead. Her other brother never visits. Her dad is abusive. I know that she promised her mother to keep the house together, but I think it's already broken up. Not that I'd advise to go to Buenos Aires with this random man. I think she should move out first of all. She needs a place of her own. Somewhere that doesn't evoke painful memories with every glance. She's torturing herself by finding excuses to stay at home, but I also don't think she'd be happy in Buenos Aires. I think Eveline should slowly begin to make her own life for herself. If I were to put myself in her shoes, I would want to leave. Maybe not to a far away, foreign land, but to somewhere new. I think that would be the smartest decision for Eveline to begin a road to happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment