Friday, July 29, 2011

Token Controversy, Special Kids, and Big White Vans

"We'd been in the middle of what we later came to call the 'tokens controversy.'" p.38

At this point I am more curious than confused. I really want to know what the Gallery is and why it is so secretive and prestigious! I've gathered that these kids at Hailsham are "special", but I don't know if that's good or bad yet. They cherish things from the outside world, which leads me to believe they live a sheltered life, kind of like the citizens in Brave New World. The Sales seem very suspicious to me. It doesn't help that Kathy describes it by saying "once every month, a big white van would come down that long road".

That's exactly what I was picturing when she told about the Sales van. It seems that the people who bring all of the items are uncommonly chipper, which makes me think they don't see kids like the students at Hailsham every day. I'm very anxious to see what makes them so different. I'm only 4 chapters in, but so far I'm enjoying this book more than Brave New World.

No comments:

Post a Comment