Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Blair Witch Project forest?!

"I certainly wasn't the only one of my age to feel their presence day and night. When it got bad, it was like they cast a shadow over the whole of Hailsham; all you had to do was turn your head or move towards a window and there they'd be, looming in the distance." p. 50

The creepy woods at Hailsham bring one thing to my mind - The Blair Witch Project. I watched this movie the summer before my freshman year, and I was terrified to say the least. The stories the Hailsham kids hear about this mysterious place paint a vivid picture of the woods in Maryland where the Blair Witch Project supposedly took place. The connection I made is really helping me understand how Kathy and Ruth feel about the woods. I'm legitimately scared for them to ever go there. I can see it now - they find a little stick man made of tree branches and before you know it they're disappearing and standing in corners like zombies. Hopefully this doesn't happen, but if anything like it does I can guarantee I'll be thoroughly creeped out. This whole situation with the secret guard, kidnapping plot, and Kathy being isolated from her group of friends strikes me as odd. I personally think the woods will come into play soon. I don't know how or when, but there seems to be something very strange about them; if this book is anything like Brave New World, then strange is a fairly prominent characteristic.




Writing this blog made me really want to watch The Blair Witch Project, so just in case you were wondering I'm going to go rent it now. So I'll probably be curled up in a corner for the rest of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment