Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mood

"A look had appeared in Tommy's eyes that made me catch my breath. It was one I hadn't seem for a long time and that belonged to the Tommy who'd had to be barricaded inside a classroom while he kicked over desks." - p. 155

The general mood from the trip to Norfolk, to my understanding, is an uncomfortable atmosphere where no one is truly acting like themselves. Chrissie and Rodney lied to Ruth about seeing her possible. Ruth is trying so hard to impress them, that she totally disregards Tommy and Kathy's feelings. The entire trip just sounded awkward. It seems like Ruth is that typical girl who wants so badly to be popular that she's willing to treat her real friends like dirt. I don't know why Tommy and Kathy put up with her. She doesn't sound like a good friend at all. 


The whole scene at the restaurant where Ruth basically makes fun of Tommy and Kathy reminds me of a Full House episode. I knew watching that show every day for years would come in handy some day! In the episode, Kimmy Gibbler befriends two older girls who seem so mature. She ditches DJ for them and realizes eventually that they were just using her. I think that's probably what is going to happen to Ruth eventually, if it's not already happening now.

No comments:

Post a Comment